Monday, May 9, 2011

Crockanboy String Band

Seems the McDermott family of Crockanboy was a musical one; everyone played an instrument of one kind or another.  They entertained at home and elsewhere.  Here's a poem, recited by Aunt Alice

Round by Dr. Devlin's corner & up through Teebane
Here comes the little avenue that leads to Jimmy Ban's
Sally's in the corner with a program in her hand
Frankie plays the violin and George gives command
The girls are good dancers as you can understand 
And you would go a good piece to hear the Crockanboy String Band

 Here's Aunt Alice

Dr. Devlin - a local, Teebane is a nearby townland; Jimmy Ban's - I think a pub.  Sally - my great grandmother; Frank and George - great uncles.

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn,

    Just found out about your blog. Looks like you are having a wonderful time (after the normal travel adjustments). I can not wait to see all of your pictures.

    Did you get to see the family homelands?

    Say hi to all of our cousins for me.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Aunt Alice is Sarah McKeown McDermott's sister, correct? She's lovely!! So fun that you got to meet her! Can't wait to hear more of her stories. Cute poem. Goes along with what our cousin George told me years ago about the musical McDermott's. I wish I could find a photo of Rebecca with her violin. That would be so priceless!

    ReplyDelete